Against Nature


Efter at have slæbt en ung fyr med på bordel, forklarer antihelten i Huysmans 'Against Nature' (A rebours), Des Esseintes, følgende til bordelmutter: 


'by bringing him here, by showing him a luxury which he didn't even suspect existed and which will necessarily imprint itself on his mind; by giving him such a windfall every couple of weeks, he'll become accustomed to these pleasures which his means do not permit him to enjoy; let's suppose that he'll need three months for them to become absolutely essential - and by spacing them out as I shall do, I do not ruun the risk of sating him - so, at the end of the three months, I shall put a stop to the little income which I'm going to advance you for this good deed, and then he'll steal, to be able to come here; he'll do something quite desperate, so that he can tumble about on this couch, under these gas-lights! 
To take an extreme cas, Auguste will - I hope - kill the man who turns up at the wrong moment while the lad's trying to break into his desk; in that event I'll have achieved my purpose, I'll have contributed, as far as lies within my power, to creating a scoundrel, one more enemy of this hideous society which is holding us to ransom.' 


Ok dekandent. Og skræmmende nok tager man sig selv i gang på gang at spejle sig selv i Des Esseintes bizarre tilgang til den virkelighed, der langsomt forfalder omkring ham, en virkelighed med småborgerlighed og aristokrati som han melder sig fuldstændig ud af og erstatter med hans egen pseudo-artistiske virkelighed; et hothouse i en Parisiansk forstad, fyldt med en eklektisk kunstsamling primært bestående af Moreau kopier, Baudelaire-værker, plasticblomster  og juvelklædte skilpadder. Min professor introducerede romanen som 'a story of art, satan, sado-masochism, decay and self-indulgence. I love it.'
Og på den note tager jeg til Kingston.